I have a project idea that I hope others may be interested in, if only to get an idea of how things work. It is a lifelong work portfolio concept to try and solve a variety of problems I have come across when trying to help people retrain or find new employment.
At the various levels it would include:
Wallet: Creation and control of a DID for the portfolio. Access granted to third parties to make entries. Creation of VCs so that a third party can check claims that other known third parties have made previous entries (a digital reference similar to a work or qualification reference).
DWN: Sorting out how the above would work.
DWAs: A career management tool to help the individual look for advice or find interesting workshops/conferences/volunteer opportunities/jobs/etc. A service for LinkedIn type companies, employers, membership organisations etc to add entries.
Just some ideas. I also put a little background here Early sketch of individual work portfolio
The aim would be to eventually create some documentation and perhaps a ‘template’ for a portfolio that anyone can adopt for their dwa or personal use. In the short term it will be more about working out what takes place where and learning about DIDs!
I’ve added a bit more background to what led me to this point Avoiding DRM for qualifications and training
I’ve realised now that the above is too involved and will take a long time to see results at this point, so I have another suggestion that can be used in many ways. This is something I wrote for myself to manipulate a collection of notes into a report or essay. So for example it might be for a course, where entries are organised into a JSON file and then when it comes to writing an essay the student can scroll and pick out entries then cut and paste the results into a document for editing.
The script and the json file are here Intermediate use case for clarifying perspective
I think it might be helpful as a reference point for certain questions. So for example instead of talking about DIDs and VCs the question could be “How do I allow someone to send book suggestions to my dwn that I can access them either through a dwa or on my own local app/program”. As in, what are the actual steps needed to do this. That way you can search for specifics in what’s available already, and be able to make requests. Also you can take a specific point of view and search for what will be relevant. E.g as a dwa owner, how can people submit a list of book titles and their reviews via their dwn. Or how can a book shop receive a wish list to fulfil without needing any other info.
I found it helpful to visualise the way things like messages and content can be organised, e.g. the json can contain links to hosted files elsewhere so a list of photos and captions can be put together.
Love the example for book suggestions, this is a great use case!
Would you want to kick this off as a sample first project?
Yes that’d be great! I started working on it anyway, was planning to do the following:
- Tidy up the schema so that it is both valid and flexible enough for all parties to use, either directly or as a source for a new file.
- Create something similar to the current html file so that users can access their data and add/edit/delete as they wish.
- Create two VC templates. One for a user to send their info to another user they know already, and another for a user who requests info from another without knowing them (e.g. a website with a list of suggested reading allowing others to update their own reading list, perhaps with a view to collecting reviews back).
- Create a basic pwa to compliment the above.
- Have people pick a role and practise interacting with the data. This would be using whatever is available right now, and manually filling in the gaps or using alternatives where necessary.