Web5 Explorer - A Learning Playground for Web5 Concepts

I built a playground as a learning tool for new comers to learn some of the basics of web5. The goal is to eventually migrate the entire project to a Web5 infrastructure using real nodes and dids.

4 Likes

@saeedjabbar this is awesome! I am really impressed with what you’ve put together. The team has talked about needing a tool like this for learning, and potentially development down the line - you must have read our minds.

Would love to have this incorporated into a community projects repository so it can be highlighted and continue to be built upon (cc: @alr).

1 Like

Gabe beat me to it!!!

This is super cool, Saeed!

Saeed, do you have opinions for what form you’d like that to take?

S,
ALR

1 Like

@alr @decentralgabe Thanks! It would be wonderful to have it incorporated into a community project so it can be furthered developed.

In the mid to long term it would be nice to have the underlying infrastructure switch over to actual Web5 components such as real DIDs, VCs, etc.

In the short term, I’m hoping to add more teaching aids but don’t want to make it overly bloated.

Perhaps there can be different versions for different audiences ie. technical and none-technical. I would also love to see what the community would want. Some parts could be even broken out as plugins for VS Code, etc.

I’ve also built it with accessibility in mind for those with screen readers.

+1 to all of that. It’s great work.

Concretely, how can we help? Some ideas:

• We’re looking at starting up an Incubation program, one that welcomes prototypes into the TBD ecosystem for further maturation, and signals that it’s not yet a core component. It’d have access to infrastructure like a Forum here, TBD GitHub organization, and external project leads could run it in compliance with our existing Code of Conduct, Licensing model, and Governance.
  • We could create a simple “examples” repository where each module like this simply lives. Lighter version of the above.
  • Long-term, if we reach a state we think is mature, we could discuss surfacing as a section on the Developer Site. Something we could all review with @techgirl1908 and @mkingtbd!

All to your comfort, Saeed. What can we do over here to help you make this more successful and build it out as you’re envisioning?

Totally cool to keep it as you have for the time being as well. Here to support.

S,
ALR

1 Like
  • Point one sounds great for a long term ecosystem.
  • Point two could be an MVP/test for point one and fits within my short term goals to modularize the platform so it can fit in more Web5 concepts without being too cluttered.
  • That sound great as well! What stack is the developer site built in? From poking around I see Next? and how is contend fed into the site, markdown files?

As for what you can do:

1. I would love more community feedback to understand what are the most important concepts they would love to learn about to incorporate. I love the 3 pillars and the code of conduct.
  2. I would love to know what Web5 Components from TBD can implemented early so we start using real web5 infrastructure. I sense in the Q3 updates we will know more.
  3. Any additional contributors from the community would be great. If anyone wants to contribute other languages like Spanish, etc

I’m super excited to see the development of the ecosystem! Will be updating the playground with some other cool stuff soon!

Dope.

What stack is the developer site built in? From poking around I see Next? and how is contend fed into the site, markdown files?

developer.btd.website is Docusaurus-based. Like Next.js, it’s a React site. We can feed Markdown into it to render a page, which is why I had some initial exploration for the Tutorials system as a Markdown preprocessor to inject code.

I would love more community feedback to understand what are the most important concepts they would love to learn about to incorporate.

If you open a forum post focused on this, we can promote in Discord and the Developer Twitter account.

I would love to know what Web5 Components from TBD can implemented early so we start using real web5 infrastructure.

A focus first on the ssi-sdk, then the ssi-service, is going to best reflect project readiness as well get folks acclimated to the vital credential issuance and verification which is central to Web5 and tbDEX.

1. Any additional contributors from the community would be great. If anyone wants to contribute other languages like Spanish, etc

Do you yet have a pluggable strategy for i18n/l10n? If the Strings are externalized, we can make a call to the community for easy contribution.

1 Like
  • Point two could be an MVP/test for point one and fits within my short term goals to modularize the platform so it can fit in more Web5 concepts without being too cluttered.

Awesome! Let me know when you’re ready for a TBD repo for this. We can preflight an incubtation program with it. It’ll still need TBD-standard files like CoC, Governance, Licence, etc from the template repo. I’ll set all that up for you if this sound good and you give the bat signal.

S,
ALR

1 Like