What problems need solving?

It might be helpful to try and aggregate “problems to solve” for the web5 stack. I see loads of good things being discussed in the Discord, that we might lose track of.

The idea of this thread is to list something that you think might be a problem (or that someone else posted as a problem), as a reference point for future discussion elsewhere.

Try and aim for one post per problem, to keep it clean.

Example problem : “A user has a decentralised web node and uses it, in conjunction with a single DID, to store all their personal data. If the node gets hacked (E.g. the private key is stolen), all of that user’s data risks being compromised at once. How could personal data be secured against such a scenario?”.

5 Likes

Just gonna start with what I feel like is the most basic and most root level problem with Web5 and Soulbound NFTs [I know Soulbound is out of context here so pardon me ;-;]

it is gonna be quite challenging for these things to get adoption from government and mass general public, I am referring these to Web5 single identity and Soulbound NFTs.

while it sounds good about knowing that tech communities will start using web5 along web3, most of the people in this world still don’t know what is a cryptocurrency and how it works and what is even the use of blockchain.

In some places gov still runs on papers and documents like my country :")

first we need proper computational and digital infrastructure with checks to prevent any malpractise!

I am from India and here I have seen in some government based colleges and universities we still have to do most of stuff as paperwork and there is absolutely no digitalization :confused: and when its paperwork, people tend to malpractice by manipulating the documents.

even in world of computer records there is no system check, people still manipulate computer stored records

I think Corruption and Non-progressive mentality is what needs a solution first
that too on the most basic internet layer

Governments with good digital infrastructure should adopt Blockchains to handle all their ledgers and transactions with the people,

Governments with partially or poorly developed digital infrastructure should adopt a good digital infrastructure and then move forward for understanding and incorporating blockchain.

2 Likes

One that affects PKI-based auth mechanisms in general:

“To gain mass adoption, DIDs/DWNs needs to be easy for anyone to use and access, whilst being secure. Users may find private keys hard to use/manage, and are at risk of losing them. What should happen if a user has lost their key, and needs to recover access to their data?”

2 Likes

Education

Educating people what this is and how it works. Showcasing some real world demo-videos and documenting how to set that up with a step by step guide.

3 Likes

we need a step by step guide to download, setup, build and deploy web5.0 project i.e tbdex, did core, and dwns.
this will help grow the community faster, and also the web5.0.

4 Likes

Just getting started with web5.O. just jumped from web3.O

It might help if we pull together a priority list of use cases. I totally get the importance on working on developer toolkits; without the lego, we can’t expect a critical mass of cool applications. At the same time, it might help to think about what mass-adoption users need. Here are some contenders (in addition to the above use case on finding lost keys):

1. usable wallets your granny can use
  2. single-sign-on with a pseudonymous ID but verified identify (arguably important to know the user is a real human, without them having to forgo privacy)
  3. decentralized storage with easy-to-use, granular, access control for third parties. If we want companies to stop storing (and sharing) user personal data, should think of a better way for them to store what they need, with users directly?
  4. assuming users want some of their data to be discoverable, how do we provide search services across a billion decentralized storage nodes?

Could we aggregate a list of use-cases and vote on what needs to be fixed first?

I really hope that doesn’t end up prioritising DeFI :face_with_spiral_eyes:!

1 Like

I dont know if this is the place to talk about this but i tried to join discord Discord where i imagined i can ask some questions but the link is not working or I am missing something because i get the error “no text channels”

Try using this link: TBD

*** export/import personal data into/from web node ***

• As a user, I want to be able to export my personal data from a web application (e.g. email address, DOB, address) into my web node so that I can re-use that information elsewhere without re-entering the info. This would include information verified by said application (e.g. DOB verified by KYC app).
  • As a user, I want to be able to import parts of the profile information stored in my web node into an application to avoid entering the information again, going through a verification process again, or share more information than I am comfortable with. For example, if I go to a website promoting alcohol, I would like to only share the fact that I am verified as being 21+ without having to provide my DOB or go through another KYC process again.
4 Likes

If any founder plans to start a web5 company, how would that company, founder and investors earns? Is there any detailed information available that after web5’s fully decentralisation, how would the shareholders earn?
Is all the money only goes to developers who are creating and owning validators?
I think this is really a controversial topic but it’s need to be resolved!

2 Likes

In most legislations, the data owner must allow access to its data OR, delegate the administration of this data to a 3rd party ( that web5 company ), in which case the company can make a business model based on the value it is adding for the involved parties.

e.g. charging the Companies requesting the data and paying the users for that usage. Taking a Fee for the service.

+1 use case and this one is very important for adoption, it focuses on UX.

In a similar manner, I was thinking I wanted to have a Medical Archiving System for PETs, so any Vet can use an adapter or widget to upload data (Vcs) to your DID, or create a DID for your pet that you can manage as a subset of DIDs. the DID number could be recorded into an NFC under the skin for any Vet to read and be able to Issue a VC for that DID. e.g. Vaccines, Treatments, Prescriptions, etc.

1 Like

This is kind of where i am headed and trying to secure healthcare data from the data monopolies who profit from it.

Hit me up if you want to chat as we seem to be going for similar goals here.

1 Like

((I’m still learning Web 1.0 :coffee:))

There are lots of problems that need solving, most are based in lack of trust - lack of trust for government, media, academia, medicine, science and currency.

But to fix any of these we first need a platform to better collaborate with each other. For example I wanted to collaborate here but everything points me in 10 different directions. We need a decentralized meeting place to collaborate. Where we can start different “missions” together, that is easy to use, and where we can think tank, set goals, and set parameters for each mission. Including raising money, bounties, and action plans. Picture a social media platform with purpose.

Also, we need a way to rate our trust of each other with different levels. The more we trust each other the more iterations we can accomplish together. This topic can get dicey and needs some serious explanation which I will lay out soon.

Imagine going to a website that had thousands of different “missions” started and you could join the mission, agree to the parameters of the mission, and accomplish the mission with the group.

We could super collaborate together.

I love the spirit of what you are doing here but let’s build the tool to accomplish all other missions. I have the blueprints laid out and am writing them out in my substack here. (This is not a self plug as much as it is a place to scratchpad ideas. It is totally free).

I will be checking back here often to see if collaborating with like minded decentralization warriors like yourselves becomes easier. Right now we need a place - a tool - to start movements, remain transparent, and remain decentralized. That needs to come first.

Josh (aka The Rationalist)